In an age where everything costs an arm and a leg, it’s easy to get overwhelmed when trying to decide on the perfect gift for that someone special. Even dinner at a moderately-priced restaurant can cost $100.00 or more, and throw in a movie on top of that and you might as well buy a diamond ring! Here are a few inexpensive romantic gestures that are a perfect gift on their own, or a nice supplemental surprise to whatever else you have planned:
1. Take a walk ___________. Replace the blank with “on a beach,” “in the park,” “at the museum,” etc. Walking is not only great exercise, but it’s a great chance to talk with few distractions. And if you do plan to go to dinner, it’s a great way to justify getting dessert!
2. Make a video montage. There are now dozens of free video creation apps out there, where you can take the pictures off your camera and put them to your favorite song. This is a great way to make a lasting memory that your loved one will cherish forever and is more personal than a card.
3. Write a poem. Is this cheesy? Maybe. Will that special someone love it? Probably, especially if it’s coming from the heart. And if you’re musically inclined, write a song! If you’re uncomfortable with doing this, you can make it funny and sprinkle it with inside jokes. There are also plenty of rhyming dictionary websites out there to help. Here is a sample that I made up on the spot:
My love for you is undying,
Please don’t laugh, because I’m really trying,
You mean the world to me,
We better go now, the movie starts at three
I’ll give you a minute to wipe the tears away. Anyway, you get the idea.
4. Rent their favorite movie and stay in. Pop up some popcorn, put on a fire, all that romantic stuff and just relax for a few hours. Much cheaper than going out and a lot less stressful!
5. Make dinner. There’s nothing sexier than a delicious meal you make yourself. What’s their favorite meal? Do a simple Google search for recipes and see what you think you can pull off. Even if you don’t cook well, if you really concentrate this ONE TIME and use the right ingredients, you just might surprise yourself! Don’t be afraid—give it a try!
There are literally dozens of things you can do to make the day special. The most important thing is to make it about each other. Enjoy!